Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Quiet times

So it looks like another lame blogger has jumped online with no intention of regular updates for his large and devoted following. :-)

I implore just a little bit more patience, dear readers. As I mentioned in the previous post, Ayyam-i-Ha is followed by the Baha'i Fast which is followed by the New Year celebration of Naw-Ruz. I kind of glossed over the whole Fast part, so let me add a few quick tidbits (if you'll pardon the pun).

During the 19 days of the Fast Baha'is forego eating and drinking from sunrise until sunset.

[Allow times for gasps of horror.]

It really isn't that bad, and only those who are able to do so are allowed to fast, but that is just the physical aspect of the Fast. The physical part is simply the outward symbol of the inward or spiritual aspect of it. It is a time of reflection, contemplation, prayer, meditation, and personal assessment. It is a time to reflect on where your life is going and what changes you can make to more closely align your will with your understanding of God's will.

Anyway, this is all part of my justification for not writing regularly in this hallowed blog. For me the fast creates its own sort of insular routine that revolves around the pillars of food, sleep, and prayer with doses of socializing, low energy, and watching the clock. After March 21st and Naw-Ruz I plan to write more regularly.

Besides, I've got a lot to say.

1 comment:

lcdseattle said...

I really wish there were more Baha'is in the world. A few coworkers and I went out for lunch and there was a 45 minute wait to get into the restaurant we wanted to eat at. Sadly we had to eat somewhere else. If only the world was mostly Baha'is and then I could get in wherever I wanted during this time of year!

I shall spread the word and send people your way. Your efforts in getting others to fast and simplify my life will be greatly appreciated.