Monday, April 9, 2007

Interlude - Three Cemetary Peaces +

Before embarking on a circumstantial proof of the existence of God, I wanted to share some spiritual places I have experienced, listed somewhat in chronological order of my visits.

Ryefield Bridge cemetery - This is where I'd like to spend my eternity. I grew up less than a mile from this cemetery in Harrison, Maine. I mowed it as a youngster, and find that its peaceful location above a river with a constant wind in the pines ambient sound makes it a very fond place for me. My nephew is also buried there, so I'd be in good company.

Valley of the Temples - On the island of Oahu, my first experience with a Buddhist Temple, and the peaceful atmosphere impresses me to this day. Part of what impressed me was also the fact that many religions were there side by side.

Normandy American Cemetery - I'm not the most enthusiastic flag-waving patriot you'll ever meet. I save my patriotism for Maine and for the New England Patriots. But a visit to this cemetery in Normandy with row after row of white headstone was moving. I'm sure Arlington would be as moving as well. All those people who gave their lives. I hope one day we'll stop having that need.

USS Arizona Memorial from the back of a US submarine - Again, I'm no patriot, but sailing past the Arizona Memorial on a submarine looking in awe at the memorial and paying respects while those inside look in awe at the submarine passing by makes for a special moment.

Grand Canyon at dawn - I went expecting a big postcard and a big ho-hum. I did have the foresight to get there before dawn and was well rewarded. The magic isn't the size of the hole, but the constantly changing colors as the sun moves through the sky. Much greater than I expected.

Japanese Friendship Garden in San Diego - Kudos to the Koi Club of San Diego for maintaining the most amazingly striking Koi Pond I have ever seen. The garden is lovely, and next time I am in San Diego I plan to spend hours there.

The Ocean any time - I used to laugh at the whole idea of "they that go down to the sea in ships" until I joined the Navy and spent lots of time near the ocean. Now I live within walking distance of it and intend to spend many hours there this summer. Aren't you jealous?

I'm sure I'll think of more to share. I haven't even mentioned Haifa Israel and the Baha'i Shrines and Gardens. Maybe later...

1 comment:

lcdseattle said...

Ohh, what a lovely topic idea, spiritual places.

Cemeteries frequently seem to be near the top of the list, I'm not sure if it's all the dead bodies, the peace of the place or all of the living wondering when they will die but man are cemeteries powerful places.

I have been very blessed by getting to visit some amazing places. The Grand Canyon at dawn was incredible and when sharing it with a best friend while each are in our own mental/spiritual space was simply icing on the cake. The Amazon was like being in the beating heart of our planet, the river, endless trees and more life then I've ever seen made me feel very small, like when you look up at the sky and catch a glimpse of the Milky Way. While natural places have an incredible power I must confess to finding some man made places almost as powerful. The pyramids at Giza with Cairo stretched out as far as the eye could see and then to hear the call to prayer from every mosque took my breath away. And it's never Beltain without a trip to Vegas, the lights, scale of the Strip and thousands of people pursuing pleasure. Only 20 days until the coven will be there. : )